Welcome!

The happiest moments of my life have been the few which I have passed at home in the bosom of my family. ~Thomas Jefferson




Friday, January 18, 2008

Airport Observations

I love watching people. We are the most interesting species, aren't we!

While at the airport this past week, I had ample opportunity to people watch. What a variety of people from all walks of life. Young and old, rich and poor, all dressed in their own fashions. I saw young mom's packing babies, one older woman carried along her little dog just as carefully as if it were her child. Crisp looking business men, people traveling to a vacation. Wow. What a wonderful variety!

The one thing that struck me the most though, and I'm sure it's in a large part because I'm from a small community, is how totally separate those travelers were. We walked down the concourse and many seating areas were full of people waiting.... and pretending they were the only ones there. Reading newspapers, working with laptops, reading a book, watching the football game being broadcast. Eyes met as little as possible, smiles were rare. If it were possible, there was an empty chair between travelers to protect their personal space. It was almost funny to watch people avoid each other. :o)

Well, not my ideal world, I much prefer quick smiles, friendly eyes, a kind word. I don't think I'd do well in a large city. I realize that in some places it's just not safe to invite a glance or interraction. Never-the-less, my airport experience was interesting to say the least.

Oh, and the best part, I found my favorite French Mints at the Rocky Mountain Candy shop. YUM!!!

No comments: