Welcome!

The happiest moments of my life have been the few which I have passed at home in the bosom of my family. ~Thomas Jefferson




Monday, July 7, 2008

Frugality takes some thought

.... And some action. :) With the price of gas and groceries steadily on the rise, I THINK a lot more now about the cost of driving anywhere. I'm more careful to combine errands with trips to and from work to cut down on driving. Menu's are being reworked to cushion the higher cost of food. When I bake bread (which is still cheaper than buying it) I consider the cost of my flour A LOT more than I did a year ago.

Some other things I'm doing to be frugal: Hanging clothes on the line (I might dry 1 batch a week in the dryer), being sure to use leftovers, using less detergent in my dishwasher - 2 tsp. is enough to clean everything well, and using vinegar in my rinse-aid dispenser instead of Jet Dry. I also use fabric softener less often and much less detergent in my laundry batches. (it helps that I have a new front loader washer - you have to use less) We're also being careful about turning lights and fans off when not needed and unplugging equipment we don't need as often. Audra picked up several cute shirts for the little girls last week for $1.50 each... they each got one now & the others are saved for back to school.

I'm excited about my garden coming on... we had chard for dinner tonight. My chicks are growing quickly and we're looking forward to eggs here in a couple of months. I think about that all the time. :)

I'm going to continue thinking before I purchase or use items. It's good for me to stretch and grow this way. Right? LOL!


No comments: